Saturday, March 12, 2011

I'm going to start spouting politics now

As an online poker player, you get a lot of free time. You actually get precisely as much of it as you want., or at least as much as you can afford.

I spend much of my spare time reading news and opinions of current events, as self abusive as that is. I grew up in the 80s, and was even, I admit, a child fan of Alex P. Keaton.

I've reformed in dramatic fashion, and at least one more time since then. I've always been intellectually idealistic - I want the very best of all possible worlds and think it's defeatist not to. Repeatedly both parties have let me down.

I was democrat by default for a very long time and was even exceedingly happy to vote for Obama in the last election. It was a wave of optimism I was happy to ride, and the fact that he was black made it so much sweeter - we could at last make a democratic choice resoundingly anti racist and that prospect alone was thrilling.

But it is clear now that the Democrats are simply not for the values they have previously claimed to represent. Environmentalism is largely abandoned by the party, and it is no longer even remotely anti war...

And the biggest villain is the news media for failing to keep them honest. An open news media is our best defense against government corruption and ours has played the role of puppet for decades.

Case in point - -I've been a fan of the Daily Show for a long time and was looking forward to the Obama interview.

It was very pleasant, and only after did I realize that the word "war" was never used once. It didn't come up in the State of the Union either...

The U.S. is engaged in at least two wars in different countries right now, and yet that has no bearing on the State of the Union. And Jon Stewart of all people can be bought off into not mentioning it?

Our media is fucked.

I'm thinking I should start a separate politics blog, or just start mixing it in here since it really is on my mind. If anyone has an opinion let me know.

I could also really use a name suggestion for said politics blog, hrmmm....




No comments:

Post a Comment