Monday, December 13, 2010

I'm playing the best poker of my life, and still scheduling lessons

Poker is a brilliant game. And I don't say that lightly...I've always loved games. I cut my teeth on monopoly, passionately honed my devotion in chess, gave them both a toss when I found I could make money on backgammon (a brilliant game when played for money), but ultimately gave those games up for poker.

And it's not just because you can't make money at those other games (though that is a clearly huge factor), poker is just more complex. It's intriguing (though often maddening) to the extent that no matter how well I feel I know it, there's always another level waiting for me, where previous problems seem ridiculous. I don't know if this pattern will hold...but so far it has, astonishingly well.

That's why, no matter how confident I am feeling, I am still very grateful for all the feedback and advice I get from my poker buddies via skype, and I can still be found scheduling lessons to get coaching from other professionals.

Always, no matter what, my advice is to keep getting better. And always be willing to radically change your perception of the game...especially if you learned poker pre internet-age...poker has gotten kind of weird since then.

Cheers and good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment