Saturday, July 11, 2009

Yes.

Had a couple new, good days. I'm feeling very intellectually invigorated at the moment. I'm trying to not be results oriented at all, just that I'm very happy with my life right now. Winning a little money never hurts.

I'm also considering going for this on the percentage plan. It's sort of weird and awesome being staked. . . but you inherit obligations and only keep a fraction of what you would have otherwise.

I had a very interesting job years ago that involved huge packets of cash and doing my best to blend in inside of high stakes asian games in Northern California. This was some years ago. My buddy and I who I did this with wound up clocking many hours taking our wads of cash into the No Limit Holdem games which were just starting to pop up around this time. We crushed. I lost a lot of money for the company I worked for playing Pai Gow Tiles, but I always made money at poker. It can be such a liberating feeling playing staked. . . and playing poker on short money can feel like your soul is in a jail cell.

Staked you can make that "correct" bluff that you wouldn't dare make with your own money, because you can't help but get fixated on the groceries you could buy with that money that you're betting with nothing. . . It can really free up your game. You get to make the moves that you know are correct, but would be hesitant to do with your own money basically.

The other upside for me would be that I could withdraw the money I currently I have on Full Tilt and put it to use in my life. . .perhaps one of the dozen improvements I'd love to do for my poker league, Stumptown Poker. I could also buy some really nice scotch with that money. :)

But, you only keep a piece of your winnings, and with this deal it sounds like it would only be 40% or so. . . . so I better be winning a lot more money than I am now to make it a good idea financially. Can they help me that much? I honestly feel like I can do it on my own and that ultimately it's a losing proposition for me to sell myself at those odds if I'm willing to do a lot of work on my own. But at the same time there are a lot of profitable tournaments I'm not playing because of the variance to my bankroll that playing them would entail. . . so it's an interesting thing to consider, and I might just go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment